Sunday, August 4, 2013

A premature retrospective, part 1

This will have to be something of a post-mortem Steinbeck Institute entry (or series of entries)--I caught a bit of the Steinbeck journaling ennui (as seen in Journal of a Novel and Working Days from time to time) with my writing--but I still have a few days of pictures, information, songs, and (hopefully) insights to share.

As I reflect on the past three weeks with my colleagues and the fabulous proctors of the institute, I'm sure more tidbits of things I've forgotten will begin to surface... so I'll make a point to jot them down here. I do, perhaps most importantly, intend to publish a "required reading list," or some sort of compilation of the amazing book recommendations I have amassed while here (invariably the byproduct of being around a group of English, history, and science academics...). 

First, for all of you in the throes of deep nostalgia for Monterey, perhaps this photo will send you reeling back to our memorable mornings together:

Best enjoyed listening to the "Best Western Inn" song by Jim and Dan

I plan to publish entries detailing our visit to Robinson Jeffers' Tor House in Carmel, our stop at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, the sea voyage whale watching in the Monterey Bay, and an epic group excursion down to Phieffer Beach in Big Sur.

Also on the list--loading up a photobucket/flickr site with all of my pictures for those that would like to download them... so many of us nabbed fantastic shots here, I fully plan to beg, borrow, and steal as much as I possibly can manage. 

"Jim and Dan in the Can," the debut album (recorded right here in Monterey!) from my nefarious roommate and I, will be made available via YouTube over the next few days... so stay tuned!

Thanks again to all of the participants and proctors of the institute for the mountain of memories that will last a lifetime! 

More to come...

Big Sur!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment